Barbara and her husband, Kevin Wolf, have lived in Arlington for 20 years. Their two sons, Fred and Markus, are in 12th and 9th grade at Yorktown High School and also attend the Career Center. Barbara’s professional and personal background gives her a unique set of strengths to bring to the Arlington School Board.
Barbara is an award-winning Ph.D. economist:
- She has 25 years of experience working with data, statistics, and sustainability issues.
- She has subcontracted with many federal agencies, such as NOAA, the National Park Service, and the Environmental Protection Agency.
- In 2009, she was awarded the "Publication of Enduring Quality" by the American Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- She is a former assistant professor at the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota.
Barbara is a children’s book author:
- Her picture book, A Story with Pictures, was judged a “Picture Book We Admire” by the Children's Literature Network.
- She has published stories and articles in children's magazines, such as Highlights for Children and Fun for Kidz.
- She has written early readers and textbook material for curriculum companies, such as Macmillan/McGraw-Hill, Core Knowledge Foundation, and Kaeden Books.
- She has visited schools and libraries all over the DC area and beyond, sharing a love of reading and writing with young people and their teachers.
-- Amy White, APS parent, author and journalist
Barbara is heavily involved in the community. She currently serves on:
- the Arlington County Board's Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee,
- the Arlington County School Board's Advisory Council on Instruction,
- the Data Committee for the Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth, and Families, and
- the Board of the Youth Ultimate League of Arlington.
Barbara is also a 20-year volunteer for children and schools. She has served as:
- co-chair and vice-chair of the Early Childhood Advisory Committee,
- a member of the Math Advisory Committee,
- a classroom volunteer, providing one-on-one reading support, hands-on science assistance, and gifted math instruction,
- a middle school science fair judge,
- liaison to the Arlington Outdoor Lab,
- Odyssey of the Mind school coordinator and coach for seven years, supporting teams to the state and world finals,
- an assistant coach for Babe Ruth Baseball, and
- program director for the Hugh O'Brien Youth Foundation in Washington DC, creating programs for high school sophomores at every high school, both public and private, in the District.
Barbara is a Democratic activist:
- She founded and chaired Arlington/Alexandria Women for Obama, which she grew into an active network of 600 grassroots volunteers working to get the president and Democrats elected in Arlington and statewide.
- She still leads Women for Obama and remains active on issues that matter to our community, especially common-sense gun law reform.
- She led the statewide effort to collect the 10,000 signatures required by state law to put President Obama on the 2012 ballot for re-election in Virginia.
- She was elected delegate to the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- She was active in the Aneesh Chopra for Lieutenant Governor and Mark Herring for Attorney General campaigns.
- She has volunteered for the Arlington County Democratic Committee for 10 years, delivering the ACDC Messenger, phone banking, and greeting voters at polling places all over Arlington.